While on the epic quest of achieving white teeth, there are many options that come to place. With this article we want to show you how you can do this while avoiding destroying your own tooth enamel! So we hope you pay attention to the items we will be showing you.
So what will we be talking about in this article specifically? Well, of course, everything related to getting to a white smile! Items such as what causes teeth to get discolored, how to prevent it, and helpful procedures in order to accomplish white teeth will all be here in this article thanks to Los Algodones dentists.
Why do teeth turn yellow?
We all know that yellow teeth are a reason to feel insecure about our smile. So knowing just what make them divert from their white color will be useful for us! These are the most common causes for tooth discoloration:
- Dark foods. This can go from pasta sauce, to spices, and even berries! Our tooth enamel tends to absorb pigments, which are more noticeable when they are dark.
- Likewise, dark drinks. There are a ton of drinks out there that can cause stains to your pearly whites. To name a few, there is coffee, soda and wine.
- Smoking and use of tobacco products. The smoke and chemicals inside tobacco stain teeth and also leave the user with bad breath. The nicotine is also responsible to many kinds of cancer such as throat and lung, to name a few.
- It is a fact that as we grow older, our tooth enamel thins and our dentin turns darker.
- And of course, we have genes. It plays a role whether our teeth are from white to reddish brown, yellow and even gray.
It is also important to note that to get your teeth treated it is important to know if the stains are extrinsic or intrinsic. Extrinsic stains are on the surface, while intrinsic stains have already made their way in.
How to prevent stains on our white teeth?
Preventing harm before it is done is an excellent way. These will also help you retain strong and healthy white teeth!
- Brushing your teeth religiously. A very important step to take is to brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each session. This will keep the plaque and food from doing harm to your pearly whites.
- Rinse your mouth. Many dentists suggest rinsing your mouth when you cannot brush your teeth. By rinsing your mouth with water or by using a mouth rinse you are helping moving away all food stuck around.
- Whitening treatments. There are also over-the-counter products such as whitening trays which give results on extrinsic stains. Moreover, whitening toothpastes have bleaching agents that work in a similar way. You can find all these products in Los Algodones pharmacies.
- Visit your dentist. Not only are you getting a checkup on how your mouth is faring, a dentist is also able to perform a deep cleaning! By having two visits a year, you ensure that your teeth are on their merry way to improvement thanks to the help of an expert.
Helpful procedures towards achieving white teeth
Of course, there are many procedures available at the office to help getting rid of stains and achieve white teeth. These will always require little to no tests in order to know if the patient is eligible for them:
- Tooth whitening. This procedure seeks to remove stains that obstruct the tooth’s natural color, and sometimes bleach them to be whiter than they were before.
- Veneers are thin shells that are applied on the surface of your teeth. They not only improve their looks, but also reinforce them and work great for any shape issues.
- Dental crowns. Also called dental caps, they are used on teeth that are no longer good by themselves. By having crowns, you recover functionality and they are also made to look like the real deal.